It’s a very short list since I was only in town for a short weekend, but I’m hoping to go back one day and continue this list!
- In n’ Out – alright, so this one is not specific to San Francisco. But it was my first time visiting the West Coast, hence my first time at an In n’ Out burger. I tried the double double, and animal style fries. I wouldn’t mind going back to an In n’ Out the next time I’m on the West Coast. But I still prefer Shake Shack.
- Clam chowder from Fisherman’ Wharf – I went to Fog Harbor Fish House. I’m sure Fisherman’s Wharf is a tourist trap but the bowl I had was pretty darn good. There are probably better places in San Fran, but you wouldn’t get this view elsewhere. Besides, if you’re a tourist, just embrace it!
- Irish coffee from Buena Vista Cafe – the story started back in 1952 when the then-owner was trying to recreate an Irish coffee he had at Shannon Airport. After many trials and some research, he finally perfected the recipe and the rest is history. It’s only about a ten-minute walk from Fisherman’s Wharf so definitely check it out if you have the time. The coffee is good. Just don’t expect a seat.
- Mint mojito iced coffee from Philz – there’s no alcohol in this, despite the name, but my cousin, who lives in the Bay Area recommended this coffee chain. The Mint Mojito is a sweet, yet strong, and creamy iced coffee with a hint of mint. It’s the perfect midday pick-me-up.
- Fortune cookies from Golden Gate Fortune Cookies – okay, so I actually don’t like fortune cookies at all, but it’s cool to see them make it. Plus, the ‘tour’ is FREE!
- Anchor Brewing Company – their factory is immaculate, compared to a lot of other brewery tours I’ve been on. You’ll learn about the history of the brewery, and get to sample (a lot) of different Anchor Steam beers.
- Burmese food from Burma Love – originally, we wanted to try its sister restaurant, Burma Superstar, but that one was super out of the way from where we were staying. So we went with Burma Love and the food was great. It was my first time trying Burmese food, but it won’t be my last!